Generally, an exercise regime is always advised after the cortisone shot reduces the pain and inflammation. Some surgeons advise that the shoulder be rested for a week at least before starting any protocol.
However, the best time to resume exercising or even begin exercising is multi-factorial. It would depend on your primary aetiology, age, overall health status, secondary medical problems, and most importantly, pain.
Once you are comfortable to start exercising, gentle range of motion exercises can be started.
Range of motion exercises to do after a cortisone shot in the shoulder;
- Is an upgoing movement from the front side or the sagittal plane facilitated by the pectorals, anter More and Is a backward going movement facilitated by the Latissimus dorsi a.k.a the largest back muscle in te More range of motion exercises for the elbow, wrist, and fingers should be started. These can be started a day or two after your shot depending on your symptoms.
- Shoulder pendulum exercises.
- Active-assisted Shoulder flexion. This can either be done using your other arm or with the help of a stick.
- Similarly, Active-assisted Shoulder extension.
- Gentle scapular retractions.
The Reflex App allows you to measure your shoulder’s range of motion and track pain. As your shoulder recovers from the cortisone shot, you can keep track of your pain levels and monitor your range of motion recovery. You can access gentle shoulder exercises in the app and move on to strength and mobility exercises as your shoulder heals.